We were graciously given lots of fresh garden tomatoes from one of Jon’s new co-workers. Some beefsteak and roma varieties. I’d never worked with fresh tomatoes before to make sauce so I thought why not? Let’s try something new and it turned out great!!
Boiling tomatoes and then blanching them to peel was one of the most fun things I’ve done in cooking. I couldn’t believe how easy it was and how easily the skin came off!
So far we’ve used the sauce for cauliflower pizza and for vegetables. Rice pasta is up next!
I adapted the recipe from Wellness Mama and so far so good! We’ll be using it all week 🙂
- 5 pounds of fresh tomatoes (peeled)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 medium onions
- Garlic powder
- Black pepper
- Seasoning salt
- Dried basil
- Dried oregano
- Dried parsley
- Pour the olive oil into a large stockpot over medium heat.
- Add diced onions, garlic powder, black pepper and seasoning salt
- Saute for 6-8 minutes or until onions are translucent and tender.
- Add tomatoes, dried oregano, basil and parsley.
- Simmer on low heat for 2-3 hours or until cooked down and starting to darken.