So in an effort to post more of what’s going on in my life I thought I’d add in a section for recipes I’m currently cooking. Most of which are pulled from other online cooks but I might change up an ingredient or two if I’m feeling sassy. This recipe is courtesy of Two Peas and Their Pod. If you haven’t been over to their website please check it out! They do weekly meal plans, lots of delicious desserts and hearty meals that I’ve been adding to my recipe list each month. I went for this dish as I needed something that my husband could eat for multiple meals (I’m doing my own food thing at the moment while in race training) but he needs something hearty for meals. Note: I did have this for dinner the night I made it and it was so yummy. Perfect for the current spring Wisconsin climate. It makes about 8 servings or 6 if you have a hungry husband!
I followed Two Peas recipe but changed out cheese tortellini for sweet italian sausage tortellini and I also didn’t have fresh basil on hand so went with more dried. If you’re looking for something really tasty and really easy to make then this dish is for you!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 6 cups fresh spinach leaves
- 1 (25.25 oz) jar Marinara Pasta Sauce
- 1 (15 oz) can diced tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons & 1 teaspoon dried basil
- Dash of crushed red pepper flakes
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- 2 (20 oz) packages refrigerated sweet italian sausage tortellini
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese, divided
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease a 9×13 baking dish with cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a large pan, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook until tender, about 3-4 minutes. Add the garlic and cook and additional two minutes. Stir in the spinach and cook until spinach wilts and shrinks down. Stir in the pasta sauce and diced tomatoes. Add the oregano, dried basil and red pepper flakes. Stir and season with salt and black pepper, to taste.
- Pour 1/2 cup of the sauce on the bottom of the baking dish. Add half of the tortellini to the dish and spread out evenly. Top with more sauce, just to cover the tortellini. Sprinkle 1 cup of mozzarella cheese over tortellini and sauce. Next, sprinkle 1/4 cup of Parmesan cheese over the mozzarella cheese. Add the rest of the tortellini to the dish in an even layer. Top with remaining sauce. Sprinkle the rest of the mozzarella and Parmesan cheese over the top.
- Cover baking dish with a sheet of aluminum foil. Bake for 30 minutes. Remove foil from pan and bake for an additional 10 minutes, or until cheese is completely melted and bubbly. Remove from oven and let sit for 5 minutes before serving.